Kuria East Constituency over the past few years has been characterized by high levels of illiteracy. It has few technical institutions, something that poses a challenge to human resource development. The Constituency, through the leadership of Hon. Marwa, shall focus on developing school infrastructure and promoting advocacy in order to promote education.
Getting it right that ECDE is very important, the MP acknowledges that this is a devolved function but in collaboration with Migori county government, this sector will be encouraged to develop to international standards.
Quality education for both primary and secondary schools will be emphasized and promoted through improvement of the general infrastructure and staffing. The MP has made plans of establishing one boarding Primary school in every ward.
The MP has signed a Memorandum of Agreement with Starehe Centre to provide opportunities of sponsorship to bright, needy students from the Constituency joining form one from 2019. The sponsorship will admit 20 students each year (10 boys and 10 girls), and will be a great opportunity for the admitted, bright students to study in good universities of the world like Harvard, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, and other reputable institutions afterwards.
COLLEGES AND OTHER TERTIARY INSTITUTIONS.
- Proposed establishment of Kuria University Campus at Nguruna and sponsor 82 needy students through CDF.
- Proposed construction of Kuria East KMTC branch at Kegonga Sub-county.
- Kendege Technical Training Institute (Construction ongoing), which the MP will sponsor 82 needy students, one from every polling station.
- The administration of the MP has already sponsored, and will continue to sponsor 82 needy students at Ntimaru Teachers Training College (one from every ward).
- Supporting Youth Polytechnics in the constituency. Since the Youth Polytechnics are under county government, the office of the MP will support the Polytechnics by giving bursaries to students.
The MP additionally encourages students to apply for various bursaries, that include; HELB (for university students), the Presidential bursary, county government bursary and CDF bursary whereby students are encouraged to apply for all categories (secondary, college, and university students).
For CDF bursary, university students will be getting ksh.10,000, college ksh.8,000 and day-secondary school ksh.3,000 (to be revised from time to time on need basis).