Agriculture is the main economic activity in Kuria East constituency. Agriculture is not yet explored fully and needs young brain power to do research and ensure modern techniques are utilized in production. Under this pillar, we shall progress to promote sustainable agriculture which is farming in sustainable ways. This will in effect bring the long term benefits that will:
• Satisfy human food and fiber needs.
• Enhance environmental quality and the natural resource base upon which the agricultural economy depends.
• Make the most efficient use of non-renewable resources and on-farm resources and integrate, where appropriate, natural biological cycles and controls.
• Sustain the economic viability of farm operations.
• Enhance the quality of life for farmers and society as a whole.
We shall :
Promote diversification in farming by encouraging and supporting viable options such as: horticulture, coffee farming, dairy farming and growing sweet potatoes for selling to processing factories directly.
Encourage private sector players to invest in agricultural extension services to augment government efforts, so as to accelerate new technology adoption.
Mobilize people to keep pace with changing times, and embrace new technology in farming, in order to ensure profitability, and promote advancement in agricultural-based development. In achieving this, training forums will be organised by the MNA’s office.